Recipes | Back
German Apple Cake
Prep: 20 min Bake: 40 min
This is such a pretty cake! It was remarkably simple to put together, using ingredients I usually have in my kitchen.
I used Gala apples, but you could substitute your favorite and it would likely turn out just as great.
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ - ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Peel and thinly slice apples, then toss in lemon juice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour and ½ cup milk until all ingredients are incorporated, scraping the sides periodically.
- Add additional milk if batter appears dry.
- Pour batter into greased 10" springform pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top, starting with a circle in the center and adding another row around that, pushing them gently into the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- After cooling, remove the side of the springform pan.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cake right before serving.
Gluten Free Pro Tips
- For a richer flavor and moist texture, you can substitute buttermilk for the milk. If so, add 1/4 tsp baking soda.
- Use less salt (½ tsp) if using salted butter.